Thursday, June 07, 2007

San Francisco Treat

Yesterday was one of the coolest days of my trip so far. I said goodbye to Julie in Bodega Bay and started riding again. My legs felt great! Those two rest days were definitely a good idea. The ride took me down the road, to a bike trail, through a State Parks, and back out to the road again. I entered many small towns outside of the city on the other side of the bay always heading towards the Golden Gate Bridge. This was the first time I'd ever ridden towards a big city before, and I finally felt like I was in California. The sun was shining, the air smelled like flowers, and everyone was out on the streets. Some smiling, some just out.

So I pedaled along feeling happier and happier. I listened to California Girls on my ipod and cruised along. I was happy to see many signs directing bikes where to go, and also many road bikers waving at me as they passed. I could tell that even though I wasn't quite to the city yet, it was a place that I would love. And so I continued working my way to the Golden Gate Bridge. The bridge that I could cross ON my bike.

And so of course when I got to the bridge I had to take a lot of pictures.



And have other people take pictures of me too.



And then take some pictures of the city. Because it was so cool!




And it's all on a hill. Or lots of hills. Oh, wait....hills! Yes, I rode my bike up some hills in San Francisco, going into town, but I tried not to ride up too many because, MAN this city has some killer ones.

When I got into town I rode over to Caren's club (Mohitos) and got directions to her house. From there I decided to take my bike on the Bart instead of trying to navigate the roads. So instead I took my bike and trailer onto the train which involved so much work that maybe it would have been better to just ride.

In the city there are so many cars and buses and the bikes just ride past them as they pause in traffic. I actually feel safer on a bike than in a car now. Or at least, maybe just the last car I was in. Which was a taxi from Mohitos back to Caren's house last night after going with her roommates to see a band play there. Our driver was the craziest guy. Swerving all around cars and buses and people, and every time he would brake we'd know it in advance from a loud shrieking sound of his brakes, and that was followed by a thump from something in the trunk which I guessed outloud MIGHT be the body of some one that he hit recently, but when we asked him he said it was a bird cage. I'll believe that only because I want to.

And now I have a good amount of time here in the city to explore and visit all of the places that I want to check out. Starting with Zara. My very favorite store in the entire world. It's the only thing that I love more than ice cream. And bikes.

4 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Erin: Great getting you latest entree. The pictures of the Golden Gate are FANTASTIC, especially the one with you in it. I was out for lunch w/Mrs. Gribbins, Mrs. Daves & Ann Edmonds. We talked about your adventure. Oh, I called Mick & Christine in the UK. this morning. When I told them what you are doing Mick asked if you needed him to come pick you up.LOL Glad you got to rest. Have fun in San Francisco. We are so proud of
you. Love, Mom

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Erin -she'slittle but she's mighty!
Following your progress is terrific -isn't S.F unique qnd amazing? as time passes you'll look back on this trip so fondly - quite an accomplshment! Great to have the photos to accompany your account of the
fabulous ride!!
Just love it all and enjoy each and every day.
I certainly am doing that in spirit!
Love and hugs,
Lorna

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

"What ever happened to predictability,
the milk man, the paper boy, evening TV ... "

PLEASE ride your bike past the Full House house and take a picture!

Oh, and your next trip better be to visit me. I have a Zara within 2 minutes walking distance from my house. And I'll stock the freezer with ice cream :)

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I'm going to the Full House house tomorrow! It's in Alamo Park. I'll be sure to post pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home