Sunday, June 03, 2007

Day #10 and Day #11

Day #10 Gold Beach to Redwoods Youth Hostel
The ride on Day 10 took me to the Southern tip of Oregon where the scenery still holds its own and does not disappoint. In the morning I left Gold Beach and rode up a big, big hill. When I got to the top I thought my typical big hill is over thought, "you ROCKED that girl!"

I stopped in Brookings, OR for some fish and chips and an ice cream sundae. I debated the sundae, but figured that it was ok. And then a few miles after lunch I came across this fantastic sign!
Oh yes, I successfully crossed in California! I had planned to stop in Crescent City for the night, but upon arriving there I decided that it was NOT a place that I'd want to stop. It was pretty run down and not that friendly. So I took my chances and rode on. The road started to go up. "Ok, I can do this!" I thought to myself. The road continued to go up. And up. And up 1200 feet above sea level. And reading those numbers on a screen might not mean much, but let me just tell you - it was a wicked tough hill. A long one. It went up more than I have ever seen a hill go up before. And then it went up some more. And finally when I thought that maybe this would be the first time on my trip that I sat down and cried, I pushed on and eventually...started to go down. And what did I find at the bottom of the hill?The Redwoods Youth Hostel. Awesome. Totally awesome. There was a 100 plus years old house that was built by settlers in California. And it had been turned into a hostel. Where I booked a bed, cooked dinner, and promptly fell asleep at 9 pm.
Day #11 Redwoods Youth Hostel to Arcata, CA

Today was a moderate day that took me from the hostel to Arcata where I'm now staying with Beth! Her house is super cool, as is the town of Arcata. On my way I passed through the Redwoods National forest. Incredible. The forest is magical. The trees are...bigger than any trees I've ever seen before.

This is a whole new part of the country that I've never experienced before and it's amazing! The next few days will take me up and over a huge hill, and then down closer to the Bay area. I expect to be in San Francisco in about six days! I'm looking forward to the places that the road will take me until then...

10 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger CMarsh said...

Erin!! Your trip has been amazing so far! I can't wait to keep following you. The pictures are absolutely breathtaking. And i def. expect to hear about some more fabulous milkshakes and icecream my favorite!
love caroline

Hey Erin--I've been reading your blog from the beginning and have enjoyed it a lot..I love how you write, you are very funny. Your stories and pictures are amazing and I can't wait for some more. Peace, Caitlin

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Erin said...

thanks girls! i am glad you are enjoying the blog. hope to see you soon and have a great summer!

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Jeanette said...

Erin,
Your grandpa sent me a note about your adventure. I have just read your entire diary and I am exhausted without even pedaling a city block! Way to go girl! Ken and I love that part of our country but of course we have not experienced it as you are. Can't wait for the next installment of your story.

Love,
Jeanette

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey erin,
i can't believe you've gone over 500 miles so far! my biking adventures consist of trying to guess when the left pedal is going to fall off again...the way it looks right now i'm betting on thursday
give caren a big hug for me when you see her
love, your brother

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

erin, i met a biker that has a blog, too. www.3z33.us - he ate at my bar last night.... anyway, i know you like to hear about other bikers stories and i will pass your blog onto him as well. keep it goin' --- nina

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Erin: So I walked the park twice today, in the morning since David called at 6a.m. (It's o.k. David even though this was my first day of summer vacation!) and in the afternoon with Betsy. So, it was a total of 12 miles. Not quite up to your standards. You are unbelievable!! Everyone I talk to that I gave your blog to is REALLY enjoying reading about your adventure. Dad and I are so proud of you. Love, Mom

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Marti Gribbins said...

Hi Erin--

My heart was in my throat as I read your experiences for days 10 and 11. I am glad to be living this trip vicariously. Those hills would be way too hard to climb on a bike. For your pluck and courage you deserve to eat ice cream every day!

Fondly, Marti Gribbins

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Michael said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Hi Erin, I am Michael from Germany. I am going to cycle from Seattle to SF in two weeks time. So, I´ve been reading your blog with great interest.Save travels.
take care,Michael

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Erin:
I DITTO Mrs. Gribbins. "You deserve to eat ice cream everyday!" Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home