Friday, June 01, 2007

Day #9 Bandon to Gold Beach, OR

Today was another day on the bike, like every day of my life over the last week and a half. I've completely gotten into the routine by now. Wake up at 7:15, get ready, on the road by 8, stop an hour later for a quick breakfast, keep riding until lunch. Depending on the morning ride I usually have another few hours after lunch. I typically ride until around 2 pm.

Just like today. And when I'm on the bike I think of many things. One of the things that pops into my head is what the hostel owner in Elma said to me after I had eaten dinner and taken a shower and unpacked some stuff. He said, "do you feel like a human again?" He was referring to me being off the bike and in comfortable clothes, fed, etc. But the line sticks with me and sometimes it will randomly be there in my thoughts. Do you feel like a human again? Every day I have moments where I feel more and more human. But strangely, these feelings of humanity are more often found when I'm riding than when I'm not.

At the beginning of my trip I thought to myself, "won't it be funny when I can look back in history and say 'remember that time I rode from Seattle to Mexico'?" Like it was a casual thing that I did, like "remember the time we went to see that movie?" or "the time I ate so much candy at Halloween I threw up." It will be another event in the history of my life, the history that has made me the human that I am up to this point.

10 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Crizzle D Dizzle said...

nice thoughts Erin. gold beach is right near where i was last summer. it's a beautiful area no? seems like your ride is going really well, i'm glad to see that. keep riding strong

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Tom Lizzo said...

Erin, looks like the ride is going well. I am a firm believer that if you are going to visit the Golden Gate Bridge, don't just drive in a car across it, get out and walk the mile and a half across it and smell the sea air, touch the cables, imagine what it took to build....enjoy what you are doing.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Marti Gribbins said...

Hi Erin--

What an exciting trip you are taking. I admire your courage and tenacity. I'm enjoying the comments and especially the photos of the beautiful scenery. I agree with you that people tend to be at their most human in the natural world. I'll be following you on this marvelous journey.

Marti Gribbins

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

Yeah, seriously, your trip will be something great to look back on and be all nonchalant about. Awesome.

Also, to be totally random, is this - http://www.bearnaked.com/photocontest/daniel_bike.htm - the Daniel that comments on your blog? I came across that while doing research for work and thought it might be. Crazy!

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

Oh that's so annoying, for some reason the link didn't work. Trying again:

http://www.bearnaked.com/photocontest/daniel_bike.htm

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger barb hagerman said...

Erin. What an adventure! Your photos are beautiful and your daily entries are so interesting to read. Thanks for sharing your travels :)

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

WOW-You're now in CA. Dad & I are highlighting where you have traveled on a map of the coast. Amazing!!! Your pictures are fantastic. What a wonderful way to see the country & what great stories you will have to tell when you are finished with this great adventure. Love you, Mom & Dad
As Ms.Ward always said 1-4-3 and you know that is so true.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about being a human! I'm touring the Rocky Mountains right now, by myself, and I too, do a lot of thinking. I started in Salida on May 9, and rode over Poncha Pass to Crestone, then across the San Luis Valley, through Saguache, over the North Pass to Gunnison, and to Crested Butte yesterday. I met Nina at Secret Stash Pizza, and she told me about your adventure. I will become a regular visitor your blog—a fan. Remember: "Just me and the road, just me and the road," and you will become one with the bike. That's what I've been thinking on this trip. Keep it up, and don't get discouraged. I believe in you.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger NH said...

Hey Erin, Way to Go Champ! cross'n the border, I feel like were all along with you. I love that you share your thoughts... Biking is the most meditative thing ever, all the worries of the day dissapear. ride on rider :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home