Sunday, May 27, 2007

Day #4 Westport, OR to Seaside, OR

I can't believe that this is just the 4th day of this ride! It feels like such a long time ago already that I left Boulder, CO.

Today I figured out how to ride hills. Finally! What works best for me is to ride in a low gear and go slow, but KEEP GOING! I know, it makes sense, but now my body gets it. Yay!

Each day I've been riding between 55 and 65 miles, but today I just did 47 and was off my bike by 1 pm. Whew! That included an hour lunch stop in Astoria, OR which is a very cool little misty mountain habor town. Food choice? Not so good. I HAVE to remember to NOT order chocolate milkshakes. They sound sooo good, but then I am always freezing cold after eating them. So goodbye milkshakes until I hit sunny California. There has been no rain yet (I'm so lucky!), and the weather is always a bit overcast with the sun coming out later in the day. Plus there is no wind. It's the perfect biking conditions.

After lunch in Astoria I continued over the Columbia river (again) south towards Seaside (the Oregon version of Lake of the Ozarks - awesome!) where I ended up at the Seaside hostel. And now I have the entire rest of the day to do laundry, walk around, take a nap, and find some healthy food for dinner. Ciao amigos. Hasta Netarts!

6 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

I love how milkshakes are the biggest problem you've encountered on your trip. Not hills, or biking all day or any of that, just the need to fight the milkshake urge. Stay strong!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Erin: GREAT pictures!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for keeping us posted on your FANTASTIC adventures. Your calls have been the highlight of our day. We ditto Vick's thoughts that it's good that "milkshakes are the biggest problem you've encountered on your trip." Do you think that Dad would give up icecream? NOT!! We love you. Mom & Dad
1-4-3 XOXOXO

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger ath2ad said...

Good thing you didn't run into that asshole, Troy Perkins, in Astoria. That Punk think he owns the town.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger averywoods said...

Erin!! So proud of you!! U look wonderful out there. Hills are tough, but you're the toughest cookie I know. I can't wait to follow you throughout your adventure, and I wish you the best of luck.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Erin, I'm Maggie from Lincoln City. If you haven't gone through here already and need a break, I'm right off Highway 101 about 1/4 mile. Last traffic lights, headed south, Turn left on SE 51st and come to 4639 SE 51st for potty break, coffee or whatever. I'm a friend of Cindi R. from Vancouver.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Thanks Maggie! I'm actually going to push pass LC to Newport, but thank you so much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home