Monday, June 18, 2007

Monterey Bay, CA

Over the last few days I've been hanging out with Jenny (who flew from Boulder to Santa Cruz to hang out and check out the Bay area) in Santa Cruz and San Francisco. We explored the city, hung out on the beach, and met up with a friend of a friend who lives in Santa Cruz (Sarah) who rode her bike from Honduras to San Simeon, CA. It was really great to hang out on the beach last night with a few fellow Santa Cruzers who love bikes like I do.


This morning I said goodbye to Jenny and Jamie - who was a fantastic hostess in Santa Cruz - and headed off once again on my bike. I got a late start (10:30), but I only had 45 miles to go, so I took it pretty easy. Riding today I passed through many strawberry fields and saw lots of people working in the massive gardens picking berries and other fruits. At lunchtime every one stopped working, got out their lawn chairs and their boom boxes and started blasting music and hanging out. Working in the sun, and enjoying their day...I was happy to see so many people

enjoying themselves.


Throughout the day I would see this sign and know that I was on the right track. It is my favorite sign in all of California.

I arrivd in Monterey in the afternoon to be greeted by Erika. And guess what? She has a GUEST bedroom at her house! My very own bed!! For the first time in a month! How much better does it get?

4 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger Catherine Silver said...

Hi Erin, my mom just sent me your blog. Jared and I were just in San Francisco 6/12-6/17 - we must have missed you. We too took a bike ride, though only 8 miles over the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito, not much compared to what you are doing! Have a great (safe) FUN trip and know that you've got two more friends thinking about you!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi again, Erin!
Glad you're "On the Road Again" (thanks, Willie). Guess you 'll remember what friends told you about staying hydrated, especially after those NACHOS- yum yum.
We're happy that you're back on track -ride on again.
Love Doonie

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

Wow, Erika is such an adult! And you know she has plates that match and cool kitchen stuff. Ah, someday :)

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Erin,
It was great to meet you! I'm glad you've had such an amazing adventure... sorry the biking is over for now. I'm sure you'll be on another bike trip before you know it. I was inspired by hanging out and hearing about your trip the other night, so I did a little bike trek out to Pinnacles National Monument for a couple of nights. Tomorrow I think I'll ride down to Big Sur. Ah, the bike riding life. Take care, and enjoy your time down south! xo Your new friend Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home